The Monastery of Kyzicus Martyr

Republic of Tatarsta

Kazan, Dekabristov str., 98

Telephone: (843)543-97-18


The history of the monastery goes more than 300 years back. The plague epidemic raged through Russia in 1654-1655 in the city of Kazan and its vicinities, according to the commemoration list, 41698 persons died. The authorities and the clergy decided to bring into the city the miracle-working icon of the Mother of God of Smolensk from the Seven Lakes Monastery. At a distance of three kilometers from the city the icon was met by Metropolitan Kornily I of Kazan and Sviyazhsk, priests and citizens. While the icon stayed in Kazan, the epidemic ceased completely. Then it was decided that the icon should be brought to the city annually. The cross was hoisted at the place where the icon was met for the first time. This event was the beginning of the rise of the monastery.


In 1687 another epidemic (people call it “trembling illness”) fell upon Kazan. The disaster was going on almost a year. Seeing the sufferings of the flock, Metropolitan Adrian (the future Patriarch of All Russia) recollected the nine holy martyrs, who suffered in Kyzicus and there was a belief that by these saints abundant grace was given for the dispelling of feverish and trembling sickness. He proposed that the church in honor of the Nine Martyrs of Kyzicus should be built at the place of meeting of the miracle-working icon. In 1687 the construction works started and the wooden temple was completed by June, 1688 (exactly to the commemoration day of the meeting of the icon). Soon the population saw the sick men recovered and the epidemic ceased completely. After that, the church on the hill turned into the object of the mass pilgrimage and donations. By application of Metropolitan Adrian there was founded in 1691 the Kyzicus Monastery around the church. Soon after that, the Most Reverend Adrian was translated to Moscow where he was elected to the Patriarchal throne. As a Patriarch of All Russia he did not give up taking care of the monastery, but continued to help it. In July 1893, he sent to the monastery the particles of the relics of nine martyrs of Kyzicus, which had been brought to Russia in 1645 by Metropolitan Anempodist of Kyzica as a gift Tsar Mikhail Feodorovich. This gift was received in the monastery with a great joy. Moreover, the Patriarch sent a letter to Metropolitan Markell of Kazan in which he recommended to carry the icon with the particles of relics of nine martyrs of Kyzicus together with the miracle-working icon of the Mother of God “Of Seven Lakes” during the summer processions. In addition to the icon of holy martyrs, the Patriarch also sent the miracle-working icon of the Mother of God of Kizicus. It must be said that the monastery was considered for a long time the summer residence of Metropolitan of Kazan (the extant Bishop’s house was built under Empress Catherine, that is 100 years later).


In 1695 the Patriarch presented to the monastery a satin corporal, on one side of which there were some names of the earliest and most significant figures of the holy abode.


The life of the monastery changed after the Soviets came to power. In 1918 it was closed and the monastic community was banished. The monastery underwent the desolation. A big part of the monastery buildings were destroyed in 1930, the rest was placed at the disposal of the Red Army. Afterwards they housed the district military registration and enlistment office, storehouses and garages.


In 2006 the preserved buildings were returned to the monastery. At present, the reconstruction and restoration works are under way. The temple in honor of the Nine Martyrs of Kyzicus, fraternity building and pilgrim’s inn are to be opened next year. Nowadays the construction of the chapel in honor of New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia is being under way.  


Monastic community


Superior: Archimandrite Daniil (Mogutnov). Dwellers: hieromonk Vyacheslav (Shaporov), hieromonk Tikhon (Kalganov), hierodeacon David (Safnullin), deacon Dimitry Rayevsky, rassaphore monk Nikolay (Uzmorsky).

Последние добавления